Who needs a Visa to enter the Netherlands?

Anyone inside the Schengen Area does not need to apply for a visa to travel to the Netherlands.

We have included here a list of all 27 Schengen members.

Czech RepublicMalta

In addition to the above the following nations do not require a visa to visit the Netherlands and the rest of the Shengen Zone: Albania, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominica, El Salvador, Georgia, Grenada, Guatemala, Honduras, Hong Kong S.A.R (Visa-free regime applies only to holders of a “Hong Kong Special Administrative Region” passport), Israel, Japan, Kiribati, Macao S.A.R (Visa-free regime applies only to holders of a “Região Administrativa Especial de Macau” passport), Malaysia, Marshall Islands, Mauritius, Mexico, Micronesia, Moldova, Montenegro, Nauru, New Zealand, Nicaragua, North Macedonia, Palau, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent, Samoa, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Solomon Islands, South Korea, Taiwan, Timor Leste, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tuvalu, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America, Uruguay, Venezuela.

Which Visa is best to apply for?

The Visa for Sports, Culture, Study is the best visa for the purpose of attending the conference in Amsterdam.

How do you go about applying?

There is a list of steps you will need to complete in order to obtain your visa to enter for the duration of the conference. It is a good idea to do this in good time, to allow for waiting times, and the possibility of delays. The Netherlands Worldwide website has a lot of useful materials to prep you for applying. Firstl you can check if you require a visa with their online tool. After you have checked there is an online guide for applying for a Schengen Visa indvidualized for each country that walks through all of the costs and requirements.

A more general guide for the documents required can also be found below.


Travel Document

  • Your passport or travel document must be valid for a minimum of three months after the intended departure from the Schengen area,
  • It should contain at least two blank pages,
  • It should have been issued within the past 10 years,
  • It should not have any observation regarding the front data page.

Passport Copy

A full colour copy of your passport, including all pages. If your old passport holds any valid visa for Schengen or USA/UK/Canada/Australia (issued in the last three years), you should have a colour copy of that passport as well.

Application Form 

You will need to complete an online application form that can be found on the Netherlands Worldwide website; try to complete this in its entirety. Where it ask for inviting person you should put the following details, to match the details on the visa invitation letter we will issue for you:

Inviting Person: Dr. Teun Zuiderent-Jerak, Associate Professor of Transdisciplinary Science & Technology Studies
Athena Institute, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Science building (W&N), 5th floor, wing C
De Boelelaan 1085
1081 HV Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Contact number: +31 (0)20 – 598 70 31

You can request a visa invitation letter by filling out this form.


A passport-size (35×45 mm) photo in colour, against a white background, no older than six months. 

Proof of Legal Residence in Normal Residence Country

A residence permit (original and photocopy), endorsed in the passport or issued as a biometrics card. The permit must be valid at least three months after your departure from the Schengen area.

Covering Letter

A covering letter from your home institution, organisation or company containing:

  • Name of invited applicant
  • Purpose of visit
  • Dates of intended stay
  • Nature of costs being covered by host 
  • Outline of applicant’s itinerary, names and addresses of inviting schools / organisations / companies intended to visit

Invitation Letter

A signed invitation letter from the inviting school / organisation / company. 

You can request a visa invitation letter by filling out this form. 

Proof of Employment or Studies

  • If employed: an employer’s letter on official letterhead confirming the applicant’s start date and continued employment and /or pay slips for the last three months. The letter should state the date of issue, name, address, telephone number and position of signatory and registration number.
  • If self-employed: original letter from a solicitor, accountant or Companies House confirming self-employment status or business ownership.
  • If you are a student: a recently signed student letter from the school, college or university confirming the applicant’s enrolment and indicating the start and end date of their studies.

Travel Medical Insurance

You must hold a travel insurance policy to cover possible expenses in connection with a return for all risks e.g. accident, illness, medical emergency evacuation etc. during your stay. The insurance policy must cover all Schengen countries, and the minimum policy coverage should be 30,000 Euros. The insurance policy must be valid for the entire duration of the intended stay. 

Proof of Means of Transport

Flight reservation of return or round trip ticket. If the applicant is travelling to several Schengen States, proof of intra-Schengen flight reservation, train itinerary or car rental. Please note that the tickets do not have to be paid, only the flight booking needs to be submitted.

Proof of Accommodation

Hotel reservations, rental of holiday home or campus residence reservation. If the applicant intends to stay with a family member or a friend, proof of sponsorship and/or private accommodation is required from the host.

Proof of Financial Means

  • Last 3 months current or savings account bank statements showing applicant’s name, address and an end balance dated within the last month on the visa application submission date.
  • If no bank account, traveller’s cheques that should be in the applicant’s name and showing details and balance for sufficient means of subsistence both for the duration of intended stay and for the return to country of origin.
  • If the applicant is financially fully supported by his/her employer, this must be clearly mentioned in the letter of employment.
  • If the applicant is a recipient of conference funding from either EASST or 4S, this will be stated on the visa invitation letter.

Minor Applicant – If Traveling with Children

  • Original birth certificate and photocopy.
  • If the minor is travelling with only one parent, written consent of the other parent or guardian, and a signed copy of their passport or other photo ID. In case a person has sole custody or guardianship of the minor, proof of this should be submitted.
  • If the minor travels alone (without parents), written consent, from both parents or legal guardians of the minor; as well as signed copies of the passports or other photo ID of the parents or legal guardians.
  • All minors must be accompanied by both parents or legal guardians and sign the application form in front of a VFS officer. Except in cases where, the child is travelling with one parent to visit the other parent, who is residing in the Netherlands.

When should you apply?

You can apply from 6 months to 2 weeks before your arrival. The earlier the better.

How much will it cost?

Visa Costs are dependent on specific Consular fees which can be checked on the Netherlands Worldwide website.

How long will it take?

It should not take more than 15 working days, however do apply as early as possible in order to prevent unexpected delays from derailing your plans.